The privileged location of Manche has enabled it to develop industries in which to excel, all resolutely turned towards the future. Many innovative companies are involved in a number of industrial segments – boating and water sports, shipyards, digital, agro-food and energy – and offer a considerable number of jobs.
The Manche département (County) is a pioneering area in broadband technology and coverage and definitely the n° 1 employer of the Basse-Normandie agro-food industry. These industries develop at such a fast pace that they have allowed Manche to cultivate its national and international standing.
Among the many territorial assets, there are:
· 160 enterprises, with players such as Constructions Mécaniques de Normandie (CMN), Allures Yachting or Iguana Yachts, who, together, have built hundreds of civilian and military vessels.
· over 2,500 employees in military shipyards
· 1,300 jobs directly connected to sailing and shipyards
· 19 marinas and fishing ports and 1 commercial port (Cherbourg) accessible 24/7
· berthing capacity of over 6,000 moorings for sailing boats
· 800,000 cross-Channel passengers each year
· an immediate proximity with the English market
At the regional level, this industry has been able to organise its activities, in particular by establishing F2N (Filière Nautique de Normandie), a grouping of boating companies all located in the Basse Normandie Region.
Moreover, recreational boating is a leisure activity supported by many amateurs and aficionados:
7,790 licensees and 5,838 schools
27 affiliated clubs including sailing schools
978 classified racers including 6 in Nationale 1
a fleet of 1,545 vessels (sailing Optimists, dinghies, catamarans…)
· Canoeing and kayaking:
538 licensees / 7 clubs
· Land yachting:
168 licensees /14 clubs
Underwater research and sports:
1,091 licensees (including 165 youth) / 12 clubs
233 licensees / 3 clubs
200 licensees / 2 clubs
· The “Véloscénic” route from Paris to Mont-Saint-Michel, to discover French history and its beautiful monuments. It includes 80 kilometres of cycle paths located in Manche
· The D-Day beaches cycle route will lead you to Mont-Saint-Michell, via the Cotentin Marshes Regional Nature Park through the Bessin and the Vire river valley.
· The Petit Tour de Manche and the Tour de Manche will lead you around, meandering through Manche,Brittany and South-West England, passed a number of world-class sites on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Manche boasts a dense network of greenways, small signposted roads and shared roadways offering visitors family bike outings and cycling challenges. Many routes are accessible: the shorter ones range from 12 to 35 kilometres and the longer are over several hundred kilometres.
99.9 % of the population is connected to broadband.
· Softway is a group specialising in customer relations via smart card technologies Acome ranks among the leading European fibre optic manufacturers Novimage is a consortium specialising in imaging and augmented reality.
· SET stands for “secure electronic transactions”. Following the example of Anglo-Saxon countries, the SET competitive cluster connects companies, higher education and research.
It has linked the Normandy company Softway to giants such as Philips and France Télécom as well as to regional SMEs.
· The Nové@ cluster established near the factory is well known as a rural cluster of excellence. It was established by Acome, a company based near Mont-Saint-Michel and the Mortain community of communes to promote ICT (Information and Communication Technologies) at the service of sustainable development.
It concentrates mainly on processing raw materials produced locally (milk and meat).Part of these processed products benefit from the registered and protected designations of origin labels (AOC/AOP), firmly connecting the production to the local Normand territory.
The agro-food offer also includes a range of innovative products: fresh-cut packaged salads; ready-made meals; fresh prepared seafood catering; sweetened goods…